Friday, 9 July 2010

Hildur Guðnadóttir - Without Sinking (Iceland, 2009)


1 Elevation; 2 Overcast; 3 Erupting Light; 4 Circular; 5 Ascent;
6 Opaque; 7 Aether; 8 Whiten; 9 Into Warmer Air; 10 Unveiled

I saw her opening for Karin Dreijer Andersson's Fever Ray project in December. I didn't know what to expect and deliberately didn't do any research beforehand. Reading a bit up on her now tells me that she's part of múm and also appears on the final track of Ben Frost's Theory of Machines. Anyway, there wasn't any snow in Hamburg back then, but Hildur, sporting a pair of white feathery antlers on her head, still managed to create a distinctly Scandinavian atmosphere, reflecting the whole antithesis of emotional discharge in a cold, desolate environment (of course, I speak prejudiciously, with exaggeration, seeing as I've never been to Iceland or Sweden, which I'm sure are not that cold and desolate all the time as common foreign conception dictates). Pieces like Erupting Light and Opaque almost overwhelmed my little meagre heart, although we could partly attribute this to my anticipation of and excitement over this specific concert (and the volume although I didn't mind the loudness, it greatly added to the intensity). I'm not sure if it was the best possible introduction to Karin's set, considering the difference in mood and emotion. While Fever Ray is more concerned with deep, organic sound (that bass was pleasantly physical, markerschütternd), Hildur's cello play is brooding, sharp, devastating. It's more real in a way, if we think of Karin's music as, well, feverish and oneirological.
For some inscrutable reason I hadn't listened to the whole of Without Sinking until now, when someone indirectly reminded me of it, having brought my interest to the two previously posted works as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi jessica really looking forward to listening to this but it may have to wait until tomorrow.America has woken from it's slumber and rapidshare has become vapidshare.or maybe it's my computer.
thanks for the recent uploads they are always at the very least interesting.
hope all is good.
yours scav

maready said...

J ---

Ha! For the first time in history, you post a CD I ALREADY OWN! :)

I only listened to it one and a half times before I lost it underneath all the other music that keeps accumulating but now that you've reminded and recommended this one I will listen again --- :O)

jɔt said...

OH NOES! That was so not my intention! Damnit! I hope you do enjoy it though, once you've managed to excavate it! :-D

Out of the lion's mouth... said...

Sadly I missed this one by nearly, as it has now been removed. Oh well, it's now on my wish list, that's for sure.