Sunday, 4 October 2009

In the beginning, there was a certain music that I wished to make. It was this particular music and no other.

It's like looking at the surface of a river. There's an iridiscence around the reefs, but it's never completely the same, according to the way in which you look, you see the golden flashes of the sun or the depths of the water. In a swimming pool you can see the reflection of the ripples on the bottom or have a vision of the whole and let yourself be carried away by what I call "dream gazing," or fix on a detail and make your own landscape. There you can make your own soundscape.


A portrait of Eliane Radigue, produced by the Austrian IMA (Institute for Media Archeology), which observes Eliane in her workspace, operating the ARP and talking about the process of composing and recording. Her stopwatch is nicknamed "nounours" :-)

French audio with English hardsub, 15 minutes

"Her music is a slow flux of dense sounds subject to imperceptible mutations. A timeless architecture of deep vibrations speaking not to the intellect or to hearing, but to the entire body. A music which is unsettling if one submerges oneself in it. A music that possesses the monumental subtlety of the movement of oceans." (source)

ETA 11/13/09: a reader of this blog, lurker, has kindly provided links to two of Eliane's recent releases, Triptych (1978) and Vice Versa, etc. (1970) Whoever uploaded these, thank you!

10 comments:

maready said...

Ok I got the iridescent idea and hope to view this later --- merci bien Jessica

Jessica said...

I just think it sounds beautiful, really. Like "cellar door", you know? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I love your blog and keep coming back almost every day to check if there's something new. I wasn't aware of Eliane's music until I read about it here, now I can't stop listening to it. Muchas, muchas gracias.

Anonymous said...

thank you for this excellent insight into a wonderful artists work.your superb blog site is greatly appreciated !!!

RonanM said...

Wonderful composer - there's a selflessness about her music that in no way prevents her being instantly recognisable.

Many thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for more one Eliane´s vision of the world.
If anyone want more: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JPFWN2U7 (adnos i-iii).

D Haddon said...

This is a great little piece on ms Radigue. It's nice to think people are finally starting to pick up on her great work.

maready said...

Jessica:

I had to come back and re-download some music from you that I lost in a hard drive disaster :( and saw this note about these two Radigue recordings I had just heard of ... thanks for the link and I promise to buy at least one more of Ms. Radigue's actual CDs as soon as I am able to (money, you know --- problem)

I hope you are ok and will be posting some more music someday soon, and until you do, bruitage ... will always be on my blog's list and in my heart.

Take care

jim said...

is there any chance the Radigue video can be reposted? thanks heaps, in any case

jɔta said...

You can find a streamable version at http://vimeo.com/8983993